India News: Times of India brings the top news headlines from India on Politics, Current Affairs, Sports, Entertainment, Technology and Indian Business News.
Eyeing sops, Punjab farmers aren't repaying loans, SC told
Banks are dreading the elections in Punjab and their fears found an expression through Patiala Central Cooperative Bank Ltd which told the Supreme Court on Monday that no farmer is returning the loan taken from banks as they are hoping for a waiver by the government that will come to power after the polls.
- Don't play Twitter-Twitter with PM, BJP neta warns JD(U)
- UGC circular for R-Day includes Surya Namaskar
- Aligarh admin refuses nod for Dharam Sansad on January 22, 23
- OBC tag for transgenders opposed
India cases fall for 3rd day, positivity up, deaths rise to 250
Daily cases of Covid fell below 2.5 lakh for the first time in five days as lower testing over the weekend led to detection of around 2.35 lakh fresh infections on Monday, down from nearly 2.59 lakh on previous day. Deaths from the virus continued to inch up for the seventh consecutive day with 250 fatalities reported in India, as compared to 235 on Sunday.
- No political bias, R-Day tableaux picked by 'apolitical panel': Govt
Vaccination certificate not must for any purpose, Centre tells SC
When it has become almost a norm for travellers to carry either negative RT-PCR test reports or Covid vaccination certificates, the Union government has informed the Supreme Court that it has “not issued any Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) which makes carrying of vaccination certificates mandatory for any purpose”.
- Birju Maharaj, maestro who breathed Kathak and took it global, dies at 83
- In UP’s Sonbhadra, 11 villages prepare to vote one last time